Wednesday 30 November 2011

Lunchbox Gift Card Holders

We're headed to a Christmas party this weekend and for said party we must come with a $10 gift for the gift exchange. I've tried getting stuff in the past, however, my gifts always seem to come home with me (which, for this party, is shameful because you want to have brought the most desired gift).

This year, I decided to bring two gift cards for things I like, instead of hunting and going crazy trying to find something perfect that is also $10. That said, I decided I'd try and jazz up the gift card holder so that, at least, people might want to open the gift, even if I end up bringing home the 'prizes' myself. Ha. But, I'm pretty sure the gift cards I bought are going to be a big hit, AS ARE the gift card holders!
Like my last post, the Felty Melty Pizza, this one is almost entirely made of felt. That means even if you're not into sewing, you can make this super cute gift card holder if you a) get some felt and b) have a glue gun. 

Anything I did with a needle and thread can be done with a hot glue gun. Promise! :)
Lunchbox Gift Card Holders

Materials:
 
See the gift card in the jelly?
felt scraps in sandwich topping colours
beige fleece for sandwich bread
parchment paper (for wrapping like Mom used to do)
twine (to hold the paper shut, tape won't stick)
scissors 

Time: 45 mins
Difficulty: Easy (whether you use a sewing machine or not)


Method: 
1) Cut your fleece to roughly bread size. Sew together.
2) Cut out your sandwich contents. I made a bologna sandwich and a peanut butter sandwich.
See the gift card in the bologna?
Bologna Sandwich:
Cut the 'meat' twice, and make sure the gift card fits between it.
Sew around the edge leaving room to insert the card afterwards.
Now, cut out toppings like cheese, onion, lettuce etc.
Lettuce-- cut a wobbly circle, create a fold in the middle so it looks puffy and scrunchy like real lettuce.

Peanut Butter Sandwich
Cut a blob for the peanut butter.
Cut out jam/jelly/nutella/marshmallow fluff, twice. Make sure it's bigger than the gift card. Sew three sides and put the gift card inside.


Yep. It's just that simple. Then I wrapped it in some parchment paper, like I remembered getting in my lunchbox as a kiddo. Ta-da.
I'm sure they'll be fighting for my sandwich gift cards this year!

Let me know how yours turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment